Friday, January 9, 2009

Shortly after moving back to Maine and buying my home here in Eddington, I began attending the Selectmen's meetings. Meetings were conducted the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month, beginning promptly at 6pm. They are now conducted (usually) on the 3rd Tuesday of the month - still prompty beginning at 6pm. They usually last no more than 1 hour.

For those unfamiliar with the term "Selectmen", these are the 5 elected representatives who govern the town of Eddington, set the annual budget, approve business licenses and business permits and other general official town business not previously delegated to either the Town Manager and his staff or to the town's Planning Committee.

Unless there is a "Public Notice" issue, the first order of business is the Flag Salute. Then the Chairwoman, who has been the Chair for several years, begins the meeting's agenda. The first and last items on the agenda is "Public Access."

Public Access: any member from the "public", meaning the community or from outside the community can ask questions or bring forth issues not on the agenda to the Selectmen or Town Manager during these allocated periods. In truth, the best time to bring forth any issue for which you want the broadest attention is to do it at the beginning of the meeting - the first Public Access - because most people leave as soon as they have finished their particular business. Anyone who wants to know all the decisions and issues raised at any meeting should stay until the meeting is officially declared closed.

In between the Public Access items is the planned agenda which usually includes monthly reports from the town's Fire Chief, the contracted County Sheriff's Deputy, and the representative from the local School Board. Only members from the Selectmen are permitted to ask questions regarding these reports. Agenda items may include people representing groups or businesses from Eddington or outside. Only the Selectmen, Town Manager or Code Enforcement Officer (if present) can exchange communication with these people. No questions are authorized from "Public Access" people attending. (Even if we might have some valid or relevant questions.)

One of the full-time employees of the town office staffs each meeting, taking notes and running the tape controller. She also provides copies of the agenda to anyone attending who wants one.

Members of the Selectmen and the Town Manager, and the Code Enforcement Officer all sit at the table at the head of the meeting room. The individual staffing the meeting sits at a table at the rear of the room. In between those two tables are chairs for people who are attending the meeting. There are usually more than 60 chairs set up for each meeting.

I tell you all this so you will be able to envision what I am about to tell you - in case you have never attended a Selectmen's meeting. I have been attending Selectmen's meetings on a regular basis since moving back here in March 2007. I'm usually the only member of the community in attendance who is not there for a specific piece of business (and then leaves as soon as it is concluded!). This leaves a lot of empty chairs - plenty of room to put your coats and jackets and prop up your feet if you're tired.

Based on my experiences and observations I decided there needs to be more, a LOT more communication between the activities of OUR elected government and the people. Since our government doesn't appear willing to communicate with its electorate, I decided to begin this blog. It is my hope the information I bring here will generate more people in Eddington to attend Selectmen meetings and get actively involved in local government.

Relevant Fact: There are 1600 registered voters in Eddington; 1300 voted in the Nov. 2008 election; fewer than 120 voted in the 2007 election for two Selectmen and one School Board rep.

The first time I went to a Selectmen's meeting (I think it was in April 2007), I was asked by the Chairwoman WHY I was there. Frankly I was surprised by the question. After all, I was a tax-paying resident, a U.S. citizen, and I had family who had been living here for more than 50 years. Granted, other than those officials there to give a report (not the rep from the school board. At that time no one ever heard from the school board.) I was the ONLY person sitting in one of those chairs between the two tables.

I hadn't raised my hand or attempted to speak. I was just sitting there - didn't think I should have to explain why I was there. The Town Manager knew who I was; I had been in the town office more than a few times to find out how and where certain kinds of business were done.

But I answered her question. "I came to learn how government worked here."

And I've been "learning" ever since. I'm at most meetings, with a break this past summer when my sister-in-law passed away unexpectedly. Truthfully, a lot of what I've been learning is pretty frustrating. That will be the subject(s) of future blogs.

Most frustrating? The lack of community attendance at the meetings. This is OUR town and these are OUR elected representatives - people who are accountable to US. But how can WE hold anyone accountable when we don't know what they're doing? We can't.

If you find yourself frustrated with what our State or Federal government is doing, remember - government starts at the local level and the citizenship role models we provide to our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment