Monday, April 18, 2011

LOONS AND LOONEY

They're back. I heard the first loon singing last Wednesday at 12:49am (woke me up. I must have been listening for that haunting sound even in my sleep.). Then Wednesday I saw a solitary loon swimming in front of the house mid-afternoon. Saturday brought a pair. The singing continues every night, really prolific around 11:30pm. So, for all the rain and chilly mornings, there is visual proof - Spring is here and Winter is gone. Now, if that last snow mound in the shade would just take the hint.

***

Each Christmas I buy a day-by-day calendar for my kitchen counter. Usually the contents are humorous, sometimes interesting facts. This year's calendar is named, "Wild Words from Wild Women." Last Friday (April 15) the provided quote was from Peg Bracken, household humorist. With today being this year's tax-filing date, I think the quote still is usable. Ms. Bracken's comment:

"Why does a slight tax increase cost you two hundred dollars and a substantial tax cut save you thirty cents?"

So true, so true. (No answer was provided, BTW.)

No comments:

Post a Comment