Tuesday, October 25, 2011

IT'S A WILD AND AMAZING SEASON

Fall is here in all her splendor. The trees stating showing off on Rooks Road even before Route 9 joined the fashion parade. Of course, with the recent rain and wind, many of those leaves have fallen, creating a colorful carpet on driveways and lawns. With the projection of possible snow by the end of this week (may it stay in the mountains, Lord) all those leaves need to be raked up and relocated somewhere. (Oh my aching back!) As it is, I discovered two grubs alongside the edging of one of the gardens. NOT nice creatures and the last thing I would want multiplying on my lawn. So the leaves have to go or there may be nothing but masses of dead grass in the spring.

Speaking of creatures - just a week and a half ago I had 30 (thirty!) wild turkeys in the driveway. They migrate from east to west - or vice versa - in their pursuit of acorns and gravel - and my driveway provides plenty of both. Except this year I have a two-year-old kitty. She's been very good at catching live chipmunks and mice and then bringing them into the house as playmates! Not my plan. Unlike a dog who might drop them if told emphatically "No!", Poli pays absolutely no attention if she is still outdoors when caught. But after five chipmunks and one mouse, she no longer has free access into the house.

Which is why she was sitting on the back porch the first time the turkeys came to call - in a grouping of a mere fifteen. I could just imagine her thinking, "They aren't going to fit my mouth." As they began to wander off, she followed - tracking and skulking - as she hungered down into the leaves. With her coloring, it is difficult to spot her.

When the thirty turkeys showed up, she was already out amongst the leaves directly on the path the turkeys used. Many people don't realize turkeys have a sharp talon at the back of their feet. If one of them decided to attack a cat. the cat would lose. So I watched from the window to see what she would do - fully prepared to take on the turkeys myself if they went after Poli.

She stayed low to the ground and watched as the flock pecked and hopped and scurried around, the way turkeys do. Soon five started wandering north up the driveway. Within moments another five retreated to the side lot from whence they had come. With only twenty left in the driveway, spreading out and pecking, Poli decided it was time to "herd the herd." Front part of her body close to the ground, her hind quarters raised, she slowly moved from side to side as she advanced. The turkeys paid her no mind until suddenly she was within inches. Immediately the leader raised his head - "Danger. Danger."

Turkeys spread out, some flying up into the trees, every one of them moving faster than they had since arriving. Poli's head came up as she tracked their movements. Her tail-less back quarters started twitching. "Oh Lord," I thought. "It is much too soon for a Thanksgiving dinner."

I opened the door (as much to scare off the turkeys as to call Poli closer to safety). One "Poli" and she immediately turned and ran pell-mell for me and the door. Turkeys and kitty safe for one more day.

Fortunately she was still in the house Sunday morning at 7:30 when four deer decided to move through following the same path as that previously used by the turkeys. I'm just not sure Poli could handle those flirty white-tails.

I know I could not handle a kitty trying to herd deer.

No comments:

Post a Comment