Thursday, August 13, 2009

CORRECTION RE: COMINS HALL SUPPER

In the previous blog, I wrote the Turkey supper was this coming Saturday Night (the 15th). My error. :-( The Correct Date is - the following Saturday Night - the 22nd.

Check the blog this coming weekend. I'll have news re: BOATS FOR SALE. Great prices and available for pick-up right here in Eddington.

*****

Last night was the first meeting for the Eddington-Clifton Book Club. Meeting dates will be the Second Tuesday of the month - from 6pm to 7pm at the Clifton Library (located inside the Clifton Town Office). The group is open to men and women. Bring whatever book you're currently reading - or - come to get a suggestion for a good book to read. I felt compelled this past Tuesday to pick up the new Catherine Coulter book "Knock Out" (her latest in her FBI series) and the latest Janet Evanovich book in the Stephanie Plum series. Of course, with all my scheduled and unscheduled activities, plus this writers group I've joined (and what a great addition that has been on lots of levels), I hardly know when I'll have time to read TWO new books. I just finished "Silks" by Dick Francis which was written in collaboration with his son, Felix. The ending definitely showed some influence from Felix.

******

Got a look at the Gift Shop at Clewley Farm Restaurant the other day. What a beautiful addition that is going to be to the town, as well as shoppers dropping in for a meal at the restaurant. The floor along is a piece of art worthy of more than a moment's appreciation. If you haven't made it a point to eat at a table in the "Back Porch" or go out for a brief stroll in the back before an early dinner (or lunch), do so. It will calm your worries better than any prescription.

*****

Looking out the window I can see two loons "fishing" a bit beyond the dock. Reminds me of the boat ride my youngest brother took me for a week ago. We were able to sit almost in the middle of five loons (boat engine off) for more than five minutes - watching two of them literally "shake a leg". At first we thought they were shaking their tails until I could clearly make out a webbed foot being shaken. Don't suppose it's a loon's version of "giving the finger" do you? :-) Should be close to time to seeing the babies out for a late night ride on the mothers' backs. Maybe that explains the adult bald eagle I saw flying overhead last week. I love the eagles but I don't want them feeding on any of our babies. That's for sure. It's bad enough the loons have to worry about losing their babies to the snapping turtle (and I have seen Myrtle-the-turtle-with-53-girdles this summer). What's a parent to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment