Monday, August 10, 2009

FALLING LEAVES

This past weekend smelled like - felt like - Fall. The weather was lovely to be sure. Certainly nice to have sun instead of rain and my neighbors were out to enjoy the water. But, with so few really "Summer Days" this summer, finding TWO totally red leaves already fallen down on my lawn, I was not pleased! It is too soon.

I am not ready for Fall. Even though I normally enjoy a crisp, bright Fall day, after the past two winters, all I can think of regarding Fall is that Winter comes next. and I am NOT READY for another winter. I may not be ready for another one like the last two for at least five or six more years! (At least not until we've had a few nice summers.)

And I can't help but feel badly for the potato and dairy farmers this year - and the vegetable and fruit farmers, too. All the rain this miserable summer has made this coming Winter something that will be a burden to many more than the many who typically have to worry about heating their homes and feeding their families. (And then they can add the new financial burden of the Maine Income Tax law changes. See my earlier blog on that abomination.)

So I will enjoy whatever beautiful days may be ahead but I don't want to see any falling leaves for two or three months. Maybe longer. And then (with apologies to my snow mobile-loving friends and neighbors), I hope and pray for a mild Winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment