Thursday, January 14, 2010

LADYBUGS ON THE WINE BOTTLES

Ever since the beginning of the year I've been reorganizing, cleaning and all that stuff in my basement in the course of taking down the Christmas decorations and putting them away. Years ago I found these great organizing shelves at Home Depot (they have them on sale right now even which is why I've bought three more sets) to help me organize the too many years of collecting household and outdoors decorations for the different holidays. Do not think it's just Christmas - although there used to be 32 boxes for just that holiday alone. No kidding. I'm much better now - down to about 8 or so (large clear plastic containers with red or green tops plus the big red bag in which the artificial six-foot tree is stored - and then there are the tops of two entire 18" deep by 24" wide shelves that have "things" standing up like solders and the one tall container - oh, yes - and three more long, flat ones for wrapping papers and gift bags).

There are two clear plastic boxes with Halloween and Thanksgiving decorations and one clear box for just Easter. Well, you get the picture. BUT, I am organized and it is very easy to find which things I need...in that section

So, in the process of moving a larger shelving unit (taller and 24" deep) to a better location - this unit is strictly for sewing projects and is organized the same way with the clear plastic bins (great ones on sale at Home Depot for $4.98 with closing tops that are hinged on the side of the box so they don't get misplaced from the box), I needed to move the rather small wine rack. The wine rack got moved to the basement after my son's visit last summer. He said the basement was a perfect spot because of the constantly cool temp. (It's "cooler" in the winter, I've noticed). Well, as I was moving the bottles, I found a lovely red ladybug. They were all over the house late this last Fall when the leaves came down. And I'd take them out and put them on a plant. I don't know what I thought happened to them normally in the winter - catch a ride south on a bird's wing like hummingbirds, perhaps. Now, I don't think so. Because I've found several dead ones in the house. But this one - the one on the wine bottle - for some reason I picked up and blew on it gently. Just warm breaths, you know.

Well, lo and behold, the thing started to move its legs and walk up my finger. Maybe ladybugs hibernate if they're not killed outright by being buried under some snow drift. Knowing it was not the right time to be flying around the house, I took the ladybug to the back of my (yes - organized) basement where I have more of those shelving units. These are for the gardening supplies and pots. There I placed her to rest for a few more months. When it's time to take out the garden gloves, she'll be right there on the finger - hopefully. Lord knows where she'll be if she takes a fancy to stroll around that part of the basement. I still have some organizing to do back there.

2 comments:

  1. And I thought I was an organized person. Yes... when we moved I thought... LARGE storage room where I can organize everything. Previously it was in a cape cod home so small stuff stored at the shorter part of the roof and bigger stuff as it fit outward... So now... we have a large storage room, shelves galore and finding Christmas stuff this year a breeze... Then all you know what hit the fan and now it is chaos... doors, trim, screens, stain, paint, and gift shop stuff... then somewhere beyond all that... organization. I should take a lesson from you and spend some time down there!!! Do think it may be to cold for Lady Bugs although... lately it seems warmer than the rest of our home... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering how she reacted to those warm breaths, next Fall when they start falling from the trees on the backs of the leaves, I think I'll gather them in some kind of small netted or air-vented containers and put them in the agrden section of the basement rather than send them out to be frozen to death. Maybe I can provide my own "Hibernation Habitat for Ladies."

    ReplyDelete