Friday, September 11, 2009

I LOVE MY INSURANCE COMPANY - AND TRASH DAY

First of all, I really do love my Insurance Company - Liberty Mutual. Love their ad campaign re: Responsibility AND their people and the way the team here in Bangor just take care of their clients. Seriously. No sarcasm here, folks. I've had them since moving back and my late sister-in-law said they were who I was going to have. Same agent that she and my brother had. Done deal. (The company I had in California didn't/doesn't do business in Maine. What else is new. We won't go there.) Great agent. Got policies for both the new house and the not-so-new car. Great rates.

Then last Fall - maybe it was this last Spring (can't remember which) a dead tree limb from an oak tree fell on my car. Smashed windshield, dented hood, dented lots of stuff. $4,600.00 worth of stuff. (I think "dead" limbs must weigh more - and dead oak limbs especially). Called my agent's office. I didn't call the Claim's telephone number because I like to talk to human beings - not automatic machines. Funny that way. Great PEOPLE at my agent's office up on Stillwater Ave near Day's Jewelry. No problem. Car fixed and I had a car to use during the process. Piece of cake.

So now - recently - a handyman was at the house re: four windows on the second floor I need to have replaced before winter. Definitely NEED to have replaced. As in - they get frost AND icicles on the INSIDE during the winter (probably facing the water doesn't help but I need to reduce my heating costs because of property taxes and all. But we won't go there.) The handyman suggested I contact my insurance company. Maybe I had a claim. I didn't think so but what the heck. Can't hurt to ask a question. Well, I called. I asked questions. Bottom Line - when I was talking to the Claims Person, she asked if the windows were Anderson Windows. They are. She said Anderson Windows have a 20 year guarantee. How about that! More Bottom Line: I am within the 20 year "window". So - while I do not have an insurance claim, so to speak, because of the great people who work at Liberty Mutual, I am now getting 11 brand new Anderson Windows FREE (because the technician Anderson Windows sent tested every window in my house and determined I had "collapsed glass" in more than the four problem windows I had originally determined were in need of replacement.

Do I believe in Anderson Windows? Absolutely! Do I believe in Liberty Mutual? You Bet!

Now, as for Liberty Mutual's ad campaign - you've probably seen their TV ads where one person does something good for someone else (usually a stranger) and a third party sees that act and then the third party catches the "bug" and does something for someone else (like pulling them out of traffic or picking up a child's dropped toy, etc.) - Liberty Mutual calls it The Responsibility Project. I LIKE IT.

Of course, I'm not too sure how it works when someone decided not to throw their container of oil into the woods and just left it along the roadside - in the area near my trash for collection. Good not to throw it into the woods BUT our trash collectors won't take it and it certainly doesn't qualify for "recycling". So I guess that means someone like ME is expected to take it into Bangor on October 3 for Universal Household Hazardous Waste Day.

2 comments:

  1. Great deal on the windows! If it's motor oil, that can be brought to any number of automotive shops around here, a lot of them have a collection tank. At least, that was the case a couple years ago when I last had some to dispose of. I think Advance Auto in Brewer does it but you'd have to call around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I'll check with Robbie's. Although, I noticed the "jug" was missing this past Friday. (I'd left it up at the roadside while I was trying to figure out what to do with it. Lord knows where it went but maybe some good fairy picked up the load.) Another suggestion I received via telephone was to call the Code Enforcement Officer because I had no idea what the liquid inside the jug was. The jug label was faded and anything could have been put in the jug - not necessarily oil. That was why I left it up at the curb because I didn't know what to do. I was even thinking about checking with the Fire Dept.

    ReplyDelete