Thursday, September 10, 2009

JUST PULL UP AND 'COP A SQUAT'

Or - maybe, "Watch the lid there" - or "Only in downtown Eddington" (Do we have a 'downtown'?) - Or how about "Good Gawd, Maud!" Maybe something like, "If the line's too long at the Post Office and Your Coffee's Kicking In - No Problem"

As you can tell, gentle readers, I am having a problem with choosing a title for this story - or call it a folksy article about Life in Eddington. (I probably shouldn't say "only in Eddington." I'm learning better. I know, I know. You're probably saying - "So get on with it already."

Well, west driving along scenic Route 9 the other afternoon on the way to pick up my mail at the Post Office, I almost drove across the center line with the artistic distraction on the south side of the road just before the Post Office. (Of course I am always watching for signs of wild life - skunks, porcupines, deer and suck.) I even saw a woman putting out a couch last week. She was attempting to put some sort of a sign on it (maybe "Free" or some price) but the wind kept blowing it down so she gave up and just left the couch - abandoned as though it was on its own. For sure the trash collectors wouldn't be taking it.

So, back to my story here. What I saw was no wild lands critter. And no couch either. It was a white, porcelain toilet. Complete. No sign. Perhaps this is Eddington's version of a "Rest Stop." Can't you just imagine some wanderer strolling down the road - or an early morning jogger perhaps. Maybe one of those late night big rig drivers who's had too many cups of coffee.
"Oops. Gotta go. Well, looky here. How convenient."

Like I said, Welcome to downtown Eddington.

How about, "Flushing optional." (BTW, if you are inclined to take the offer of a free toilet you might want to check for any "contributions" first." :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment