Thursday, October 1, 2009

TWO OCTOBER FUNDRAISERS FOR GOOD CAUSES

Clewley Farm Restaurant will be hosting two important fundraisers in October. The rstaurant is located at 999 Main Road, Eddington 04428. Main Road is Route 9 for those readers not living in the Eddington/Clifton area - telephone # (207) 843-7446.

The first: October 10 will be an International Cuisine Buffet from 1:00pm to 8:00pm to raise money for the Last Chance Ranch, an equine rescue organization in Troy, Maine. The organizers will also be selling raffle tickets for a 50/50 raffle and gift certificates from local businesses. 100 percent of the proceeds earned from the buffet will be donated to the Last Chance Ranch specifically for the cost of hay, feed and other expenses the Ranch deems necessary. The organizers have given explicit instructions that the money donated is to be used solely for the care of the horses.

Staff from the Ranch will be on hand at the fundraiser to answer any questions people have about the equine rescue provided by the Last Chance Ranch. The cost of feeding and care of one horse averages $250.00 per month. Because of current economic conditions and their impact on families here in Maine, the costs of caring for family horses and pets have generated a significant increase in the number of horses being brought to rescue facilities. Adding to the problem will be the cost of hay this winter. The overabundance of rain this last spring and summer damaged a lot of the hay crops. Dairy farmers and people with horses are facing higher than normal prices for winter hay needs.

Because of the great need, Clewley Farm Restaurant has graciously offered the use of their facility to host this event with plans to host a second fundraiser in the late winter or early spring of 2010.

Organizers for the October 10th event are seeking raffle prizes and gift certificates. Anyone interested in contributing should contact Cheri White at 299-5996 or send her an email in care of Clewley Farm Restaurant at clewleyfarm@yahoo.com . Obviously everyone is hoping for a large turnout at this worthy fundraising event.

I expect the Five Seasons Gift Shop will be open during the event as well.
******
The Second fundraiser is Sunday afternoon, October 18 from 1:00pm - 2:30pm. Dola Hinckley will be giving a special performance of Gospel music (so the concert may go on longer since Dola's got quite a following and other singers are known to "drop in" and join her at the mike). This performance will benefit the Clifton Library. Coffee, tea and seasonal deserts will be served.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Five Seasons Gift Shop was open during this event, too. Items for sale in the Shop change all the time since many are one-of-a-kind items.
*****

Speaking of the Clifton Library - Some great new books came in the other day. And I have to talk about one particular author - Allan Folsom. I had never heard of this author before picking out a book written by him I found at the Clifton Library about a month ago. The title is "Day of Confession." It's a mystery thriller. GREAT BOOK and fantastic writing! The setting is Rome - actually it's mostly centered in the Vatican. Since I've been to Italy and to Rome and loved them both and this seemed like my kind of book, I brought it home. (The Clifton Library has very generous lending policies, BTW).

Well, that book was one of the BEST thrillers I've ever read. Could NOT put it down. It's a thick book - at least 300 pages which is what I like in a book. Something I can sink my teeth into (other than certain political situations around here, but I won't go there in this posting....). I couldn't wait to get started and once I did I couldn't wait to get back to it. Finished it in three days. Forget the TV. Never turned it on. I'd wake up at 4am and start. Would have to put it down to get certain duties taken care of and then back to the book. Bottom line: When I turned it in to the library, I looked for more books by that author (I'd checked him out on Google and learned that booked was only the second of five he'd had published - the most recent in 2009). There were no more at the Clifton Library. But I mentioned how good it was at the Eddington/Clifton Book Club meeting and to Librarian Caroline Baker. Well, the book was snatched right up - and God bless Caroline. She ordered some more by Allan Folsom. They just came in - THREE more of his books. (I checked out one yesterday. Didn't want to be piggy and take more than one at a time.) So, if it starts raining this weekend, forget the TV. I'll be reading (in addition to my posting responsibilities here and working on my own manuscript). Thank goodness I have all 130 bulbs in the ground. Now if only the gray squirrels and raccoon would just let them STAY there. But that's another story for another posting.

Next post is for the SAD63 lawsuit update. Coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment