Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Reminders, Observations & Musings

It's Tuesday the 21st - the third Tuesday of the month. That means Selectmen's meeting night (@ 6pm - Town Office). Of course I was confused last week - had the March calendar flipped up instead of April - and showed up at 5:50pm. No cars in the lot so I thought the meeting had been cancelled. Little did I realize there was a Planning Board meeting at 6:30. If I'd known I would have stayed. It's nice that the May 2 CPR class is posted (the entire board is taken up) but maybe some stakes with "Selectmen Meeting Tonight" and "Planning Board Tonight" could be stuck in the ground - just in case people like me would like to know when government business is going on. Anyway, I'll try to get the minutes from the Planning Board and put the info on here. As for tonight, I'll be at the Town Office at 6pm. Sure would like some company!

Today's rain is good. My gardens are practically jumping up and down - not to mention the tulips and irises that are spinging up from the mulch put down last Fall. I've counted five loons but the nighttime "singing" in the cove sounds like there are more. Yesterday morning while raking up the branches and numerous pinecones that fell during the winter - not to mention lots of leftover leaves - I spotted a small, dark duck of some sort very close to my shore. When I said "Good Morning" he decided to leave - but he went straight down like a rock, nothing like a loon. Another something new for me to see.

As to the rain - an additional benefit will be to reduce the fire danger. There are so many downed trees from the winter storms and winds. It concerns me. Between the dried grass that is bound to happen along Route 9 (That DOT doesn't cut) and the drivers who throw out lighted cigarettes, we who live along and in the wooded areas are at risk if we don't try to clear out the fire fuel. The fire department could never save the numerous homes and lives that would be at risk. Maybe neighbors could plan to share "Chipper Weekends" to clean up areas. It would benefit us all - and be much better/safer than burning or leaving things for lightning strikes or careless drivers.

For those who don't think it's all that big a deal, I can only point out that before returning to Eddington, I lived in San Diego during the Hillcrest fires in 2002 or '03. Being surrounded on three sides by three different fires and having the sky as dark as midnight at 11am because of the smoke (not to mention having two professional associates and their teenage son burned alive because they couldn't outrun the fire) have left their mark. It's only one of many reasons why I don't burn leaves or dead branches. I think it's really important to keep the wooded land we own cleaned out of dead trees and fallen branches for our own sake and for the sake of our neighbors.

As to musings: The "postings" on that blue house at the far western edge of town on Rte. 9 are disturbing. It's been going on for months and now the woman has seen fit to post her male/husband/abuser's (?) picture prominently over the mail box at the side of the road. My thoughts: (1) Let's assume for discussion that the woman was victimized as she claims. (If you don't know the accusations you have only to read the numerous large posters she has attached to the front of her house - and these are not the originals since at one point two or so months ago the entire house was covered with the posters.) (2) She is claiming that her boys were both threatened and witnessed her victimization by the man in question. And she has been publicly proclaiming all of this for what seems like six months - maybe longer.

Certainly there is an ongoing problem - whether or not the man is incarcerated. Is no one concerned about what the children are experiencing in that home - IF the children are still in the home, even if they are only with the mother? And if the children have been placed in some kind of foster home - or in the care of another family member, I am concerned about the emotional health of the woman who is obviously still living there. IF the children are still in that house with their mother, clearly they are experiencing psychological/emotional abuse living under such conditions. I, for one, am very close to calling the country children's services. Maybe I'll talk with Deputy Daren first just to see if he's got any relevant info on the situation. For sure whatever the situation, it isn't emotionally healthy for anyone in that home at the moment.

Sort of related: A week or so ago, as I was walking into Tradewinds, I overheard a shopper's comment to a little girl who was with an adult male (her father (?). It was late afternoon and it was cool enough for me to be wearing a sweatshirt and a jacket and still feel chilled. The man was wearing a knit hat and a heavy sweat shirt. The little girl, long pale blonde hair, was wearing a thin cotton shirt. She couldn't have been more than seven. Entering the store, the shopper said to the little girl, "Aren't you cold?" The father's remark (over the girl's head to the shopper), "Winter's over." Sure didn't feel that much "over" to me, that's for sure. And he wasn't dressed for the beach.

They were checking out right in front of me a few mintes later. Nothing for her. A tall six-pack for him. I had to shake my head.

Reminder: This Saturday is the Benefit Concert at Comins Hall for the Fire Department and the handicapped lift for Comins Hall. Concert starts at 7pm. Anna Mae Mitchell & The Rising Tide. See the earlier blog for pricing (really low!) Refreshments, too.

2 comments:

  1. You certainly missed an interesting Planning Board meeting, or at least I think so! I made a presentation showcasing the Shoreland Zoning map I created in GIS (Geographic Information Systems) over the last couple of months on volunteer time. There will be an update at the next meeting.

    Selectmen meet the 1st/3rd Tuesdays at 6pm and Planning Board the 2nd/4th Tuesdays at 6:30pm, which to my understanding is a regular schedule they keep. I do agree it would be nice to post the information somewhere to confirm - though my thinking is through a website. I'm keeping on top of that.

    ~G

    ReplyDelete
  2. True - re: the planned dates of the meetings. But last night's meeting of the Selectmen was cancelled (see today's blog). It is my intention to be at next week's Planning Board meeting. How did your presentation go?

    I intend to make a bit of a "presentation" myself re: the vacant lot next to the New Hope Hospice that's for sale. Susan has been on the property and called it an "environmental nightmare." Now I have pictures of the water errosion/ground errosion that is running off from that lot and is running directly into Davis Pond - and having a negative impact on three pieces of tax-paying lots in the process!

    ReplyDelete